Saturday, May 17, 2008

 

Usafiri (travel)

Yesterday:
Awoke at 4:40 am and finished packing my bags. In a taxi to the Dar es Salaam bus station with three other volunteers by 5:15 am. On a bus by 5:50 am, on my way to Arusha by 6:15 am. We pass Tanga region, Moshi, Arusha. But clearly, Arusha isn't far enough in one day (actually I just hate spending the night in hectic, hassle-filled Arusha). So I continue to the town near my village. Arrival time in town: 7:15 pm. Arrival time at my sitemate's house: 8 pm. Nimechoka! [I'm tired!] Thanks god for sitemates who live in town and cook delicious dinners :-).

Today: Reach town from my sitemate's house at 10:30 am. Race to a town 35 minutes away to buy fruit tree seedlings for my school; daladala driver wants me to pay fare for myself and the heavy box of trees despite the fact that the car is half empty; I argue and almost lose my temper. (a sure sign that I'm sick of travel, but it worked, I only paid one fare). Carry the heavy box of trees the 2 minute walk to the village car. And if the car leaves on time, I'll be headed back to my village 15 minutes from now. It will be nice to be home. And I would say, it would be nice to rest, but there are clothes to wash, lessons to plan, neighbors who will want news . . . ah well, at least school vacation is only a few weeks away.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]