Tuesday, April 8, 2008

 

Books

Books are a valuable commodity at my school. Most students don't have them, and if they do, they're generally dog-eared, taped, well-used books. We do have a school library, built by the last volunteer, but it's small and has little space to sit down and flip through books. Also, book-lending by the library is unfortunately on hold, as a very large number of students have taken out books and not returned them.

Some examples of how valuable books are:

-I've been doing after-school chemistry question and answer sessions once or twice a week. I always bring a large pile of chemistry books with me. As soon as I put the books down at a desk, students race forward to take them. For the next hour and a half, there are three to five students clustered around each book, sounding out the English words and staring at the color pictures. I generally sit and read a novel or write a letter while this is going on, and wait for them to bring me questions. There are maybe two or three questions per session. But 20 to 30 students come, and I almost always end up staying late because they don't want to give up the books.
-Sometimes I bring textbooks to my biology class to show them pictures of the things I'm teaching about. Whenever I do this, I end up staying late, as the students invariably want to continue flipping through the book and asking me questions about it.
-And the half life of books in my hand has become alarmingly short. I'll admit it, I'm a sucker for lending out books. If my students want to learn, who am I to deny them? But this can be a problem when I lend out rather useful books such as my English-Kiswahili dictionary, and the students are late to return them . . . I'm still trying to think of a better lending system.

Comments:
Kristen -

thank you for this window on another world. If those of us in Massachusetts would like to send your students some books, how would we go about it and what would be the most useful things?
 
I wanted to ask you this too- is there a way to donate books straight to the school?
 
The problem with sending books straight to me is that Tanzanian customs might place a hefty fee on the package if we don't go about it right (I know this was a problem for the previous Peace Corps volunteer at my school). I'll do some research and let you know. Thanks to my grandfather, I've also received information about an organization called the International Book Project, and I think they'll be able to help out.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]