Saturday, February 9, 2008

 

Ups and downs on the Tanzanian roller coaster

Here it is: a short list of good things and bad things from the past few weeks.

Ups:
Having my chemistry students act out the structure of an atom. Two students stood still in the center, as a proton and a neutron. A third raced around and around this "nucleus" as the electron. Lots of laughter :-).

Planted my garden last Saturday. The radishes, mchicha (local spinach), and collard greens have sprouted, still waiting on the carrots and green peppers. And the beans and corn that a friend planted for me two weeks ago are looking good.

Played 3-on-3 ultimate frisbee with some students. My team was winning for the first hour, but after an hour and a half of play we started to tire and the other team began winning (final score: 35 to 20. It was a very small field :-) ). If all goes well, we'll be organizing a school league, with games every Tuesday.

Downs:
Sometimes you can't win. One of my biology students wrote "Form 3: speak English" as a message to me on the board. A few minutes later, a second student asked me to re-explain something in Kiswahili. Either the ones who know english well think I'm talking down to them by using Kiswahili, or the ones who don't know english well are lost . . .

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]