Saturday, January 19, 2008

 

Two class rules

My two class rules:
1) Ukijitahidi kujifunza, nitajitahidi kukufundisha (if you try hard to learn, I will try hard to teach you)
2) Kuuliza si ujinga. Usiogope kusema! (Asking is not stupidity. Don't be afraid to speak).

The first one covers all those things that are a pain to list because students are sick of hearing them-be on time, bring a notebook, listen in class. And it's fun to mime sleeping in class and coming late when I explain the rule.

The second one always makes them laugh when I write it on the board. And now whenever the class is silent, I can bark out "Usiogope kusema!" Actually, now that I think of it, maybe this is why they seem a bit afraid of me . . . but they are starting to raise their hands and to be willing to come to the board, and I've had a few great moments when most of the class is participating.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]