Saturday, January 26, 2008

 

Quick, random updates

-cooking: yep, I'm back to being cooked for. Which is probably a good thing, since teaching takes up a good deal of my time. Teachers get free lunch at school, as well as tea and chapati at tea breaks. And I go over to the headmaster's house for breakfast and dinner (a good deal, since I'm friends with the person who cooks for him, and if she's cooking for him anyway it's not much extra work to cook for me)
-bought a liter of honey from a guy selling it out of a bucket. There's a 3 inch deep layer of beeswax at the top, but the honey itself is delicious.
-it hailed during one of my chemistry lessons. This made it very hard to teach as hail on a tin roof is rather loud. But it was also awesome timing--I was teaching about solids, liquids, and gases, and then solid water fell from the sky to provide props for the class!
(and, teaching by miming was kind of fun)
-brought out my frisbee for the first time and got a large crowd of Tanzanian students surrounding me wanting to play. All boys though, the girls stood and watched from a distance. I may be on my way to planning a frisbee tournament.
-the rains have begun, and lots of people are planting. Some of them use tractors. A lot of them use plows pulled by oxen. And some of them prepare large fields by hand using a hoe. Sometimes I feel like I've stepped back in time.

Comments:
I getting a letter ready to send you. So look for it. I tell you my thoughts in the letter so you can look forward to it. I think it will be a very very long letter.
-Chelsea
 
Hi Kristen! I haven't read your blog for several weeks because Ross and I were in Florida. Everything you are experiencing is a Wow! Popcorn for breakfast? Does it look and taste like our popcorn? Grandaddy is a big popcorn fan so he'd be very happy eating breakfast in Tanzania. I can't wait for you to show us examples of your mimes that you've been using in your classroom. I smile when I picture you with your students. You'll be great at charades. It must be interesting to be teacher of gardening. All those years of planting tomatoes and other things in your backyard are paying off now. Thanks for keeping all of us informed.
Love, Wendy
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]