Thursday, September 6, 2007

 

Luggage

Well, after a long period of denial/laziness, I've finally started packing. I have two bags: an old backpacking backpack I bought used from the Reed College backpack co-op three years ago, and a small duffel bag I found buried in our hall closet. Now the Peace Corps recommendations for luggage are:

a) portable
b) lockable

As far as I can tell, they're mutually contradictory. Backpacking backpacks are the most portable luggage out there, but they close with plastic clips and a drawstring and can't be locked. Duffel bags can be locked, but they won't foil a determined thief, who could just slash them open with a knife. The most secure kind of luggage is a lockable trunk with a hard plastic case, which is too heavy to carry and awkward to drag over dirt roads, even if it does have wheels.

I've decided to choose portable on the theory that my things will have many opportunities to be stolen, most of which I can't control anyway. Plus I hate the headache of carrying around awkward luggage, and the unlockable backpack more than redeems itself in terms of portability--since it can stay on my back, I won't be temporarily putting it down and turning around to find it gone.

Thus, my current plan: lock the duffel bag as best I can, and bury my few valuables among my clothing. It doesn't feel secure but it's the best idea I can come up with. And it's probably good if I start developing a healthy sense of detachment from my possessions.

I'll post a full list of what I've packed some time in the next few days.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]